Monday, April 24, 2017

~ Creative Weekend ~


 Well Hello
Friends & Folk....
~ this has been a busy weekend!

I managed to get quite a few things accomplished, 
... and even began some things I didn't know I would begin!

I thought I was done punching new designs 
before heading out to the PSS Retreat in Columbus OH on the 5th & 6th of May 
but I just had to start working on this one that has been rattling around in my brain ~



it was inspired by an early PA German fraktur circa 1800's...
I have adapted it for punch needle and chose beautiful Valdani size #8 pearl cotton to work it with.
 

my main motifs are finished, 
and now I'll move on the the background...



I actually love filling in the backgrounds of my punch needle works ~
they can be as simple as outlining the motifs and filling in,
 or as complex as using directional punching techniques.

we'll see what this design dictates to me once I begin...


I am also working with my watercolors
creating new small paintings that will soon be offered as prints and notecards!

here is my latest in-progress
{and I love it so far} 


pretty colors...no?
 

h e l l o!
 I have more detail to add yet...
 


Oh!
I recently received a few finished models back 
from my fabulous model stitcher ~ Heather
{{ Thank You Heather!!}}

I'll show them all soon, but for now here is the new design for our
April/May/June 
Little Stitches Handwork Club 
~ otherwise known as 'LSHC'

and it is it's called
"Melancholy"


the verse reads:
"Industry is the best cure for Melancholy"

... for those who don't know what 'melancholy' may be, it's described thusly:
a feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

and I agree...a little 'industry' {in my book that means needlework!}
surely can cure the blues...

here is the fabric that will be included in the kit 
along with the chart, linen and threads....it's a Civil War era repro in shades of mustard & red ~
... I think it matches the threads nicely, don't you?


 each kit contains a little brass thimble
to attach to your 'scissors' on the pillow...like a little scissors fob
:)
 

I've had this old little square-shaped basket forever, 
... and although I didn't design this to fit in it,
it sure looks sweet in there!



 To read about how to become a member of our LSHC,
please click
to join our exclusive cross stitch club or re-new your membership ~ 
***MEMBERS KITS HAVE BEGUN SHIPPING TODAY***
{thanks again for your patience}

~ AND ~

I've saved the BEST new for last!

... at approx. 4:00 am today,
our little visitor-hound delivered the first of MANY puppies!!!!!
{{{ I think I counted ten little butts, BUT they are so squirmy I cannot tell for sure. }}}

At the moment, 
she is being a bit aggressive, as all new mothers can be.
~ so we are giving her space to bond and nurture with them...
since she came to us many weeks ago, she has warmed up quite a bit to Peter & I ~
...well, more to Peter than I, but that's ok.
at least she knows that we won't hurt her ~ and that she is safe here.

Peter made a huge nesting box for her in the barn and that's where she is...
nuzzling & licking her squealing little butterball babies!

Stay tuned for photos, don't want to scare her by flashing lights in her eyes...

whew!
guess that's all in a nutshell for now ~ 

Blessings from the Farm
 ~ Lori

13 comments:

NMK said...

Congratulations Grandma & Grandpa ! 10 little puppies !!! Must be so cute !!! Love your little bird & all it's tiny little feathers ! So much detail , and you new punch needle is beautiful !!!

Anonymous said...

Awwww....don't you just love the way little puppies smell? Your German Fraktur punch needle design is wonderful...such rich golds and browns. I love it! And the movement in the design is also great. The detail of your little bird card is so sweet...Clearly, there is no room for melancholia in your life, lol!!!

The Eveningstitcher said...

Oh how fun having all those little pups!! Peter will be busy for sure!! I love your watercolors...the bird with the thread is just adorable!! Your new stitchery is lovely...and I'm really loving the punch needle design...I am so hoping to go to the PSS in Columbus next month...I just have to talk hubby into driving me!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh, sweet puppies! Looking forward to many pictures.
Your watercolor is wonderful. I am in awe of all your talents.
Lauren

Jane said...

OH !! Sweet puppies!!! It's good that it's raining so Peter can be there to bond with the babies!

Tana said...

Congratulations x 10!

I'm looking forward to pics of the little butterballs! :-)

Dirty Martini Queen said...

Love the new kit and can't wait to see pictures of the butterballs....all 10 of them! Wow just thinking about 10 puppies makes me smile like crazy!!!!!
Donna

gracie said...

Oh wonderful. Can't wait to meet these babies.

elaine allerton said...

Wow! Lori,, talk about a creative weekend!! Love it all,,, the punch is beautiful , and water colors, and stitchery, too,,,
Wow,, puppies,,, oh my,,, I thought my daisy had a huge litter at eight!!! ( years ago) , thats alot,,,,,
Cant wait to see,,,,
Take care,,

Unknown said...

Love your stitching's. Will you be offering for sale your darling little watercolor's? Thank you !

handfulsofwool said...

Congratulations on the puppies!
Your watercolor with the bird and thread is so sweet.
I absolutely love the colors in your punch needle. Can't wait to see it finished.

Winnie said...

What a week, Lori!! Complete with 10 puppies and a gorgeous handwork completed by you! I am loving your new watercolor works. They are just lovely and I do like the colors that you are using as well. The new punch work is also gorgeous and those colors are rich.

Have a great week and I look forward to seeing photos of those puppies when they are old enough to start toddling around. I bet they are just so CUTE!

Karen said...

How exciting to have puppies! It has been so long since I have seen a puppy. My fingers are crossed that you will get a photo of them. You get to smell puppy breathe!